Freshman Meason plays varsity baseball

Aaron Stanford, Staff

As a 14-year-old freshman on varsity, Frankie Wayne Meason plays against 18 year olds on the baseball team.

“Playing with 17 and 18 year old boys benefits me because they are better than me, which makes me better,” Meason said.

Meason has played baseball ever since he could since the age of 4. He started playing first base then soon moved to third base.

“My main position is first base. That’s the position I enjoy the most. I like third but it’s not my best,” Meason said.

Meason mentioned that he started pitching five years ago. His dad, Wayne, taught him how to pitch and play first base.

“Pitching is really fun. I pitch mid-70s. I pitch a fastball, curveball, slider and I’m learning to throw a knuckleball and changeup,” Meason said.

To take his baseball career further and make him play better, he played select ball with the Patriots, Red Sox and the Mineola Yankees.

“Playing select ball has helped me a lot because I’m playing against kids that come from different places that are better than me,” Meason said.

Meason plans to go far in baseball.

“I plan on going to college and playing for TCU. Then hopefully get drafted by the Texas Rangers at first base. I hope I can go pro so I can continue what I love doing and I can get lots of money,” Meason said.

Meason said his coaches work hard on him and try motivating him.

“A quote I look up to is, ‘hard work beats talent, when talent fails to work hard,'” Meason said.

Everyday he wants to practice with a positive attitude and looks forward to improving.

“My baseball teammates are my brothers. They are my family. I’ll do anything for anyone of them and I know they’ll do the same for me,” Meason said.

Freshman Meason plays varsity baseball