Newspaper wins awards at ILPC

The Jacket Buzz won six awards at the Interscholastic League Press Conference convention in Austin. It has moved to an online publication.

K.C. Davis placed second with an entertainment feature about Grease; Sarah Trocolli placed third with a sports feature about Stephanie Smith; Neal Warnick had two honorable mentions, a news feature about Terry Caffey, and a personal opinion column about hunting; Blake Whitney and Harry El-Hallaoui had an honorable mention sports action story about football; and Brianne Phillips had an honorable mention sports feature about Sheyene Hooks.

“It was our first year to compete in this online category and we were excited to win these awards. We have a lot to learn about online news but are fortunate to be blessed with some leaders like Brianne and Hunter,” Jim Phillips adviser said.

The student newspaper has moved from a printed edition to  www.thejacketbuzz.com  and has been a part of campus life since 1923. It changed its name from the Yellowjacket to the Jacket Buzz in 1954. In 1981 the Jacket Buzz was named the best 3A high school newspaper in the state.

The yearbook and the online newspaper are members of the Interscholastic League Press Conference, the journalism part of UIL. Brianne Phillips is president of Quill & Scroll, International Honorary Society for High School Journalists and editor in chief of the yearbook.  Haston is editor of the online newspaper.

Newspaper wins awards at ILPC